Line the bottom of the first plate with a few layers of wet tissue and drain any excess water from the plate.
When the first few millimetres of root have emerged from a germinated seed, each one should then be carefully transferred to a small container of growing medium (soil, coco-fibre or rockwool).
Step 1. The setup – How to germinate cannabis seeds
Seeds should be placed on top of the tissue, allowing each seed as much space as possible.
Lastly, cover everything with the second plate, upside down, to form a ‘clam-shell’ shape – this will create the dark, moist environment necessary for germination.
Place the plates somewhere warm (21ºC) and away from direct light.
1) Set seeds in a matchbox with an emery board or sandpaper on the bottom.
2) Close seeds inside the matchbox.
Jorge Cervantes shares his process for germinating cannabis seeds into healthy sprouts.
Other Tips for Germinating Cannabis Seeds
3) Shake matchbox for 10 to 15 seconds to scarify the seeds.
2) Remove seeds from the water. Pour water out onto two paper (or cloth) towels on a dinner plate. Fold the towels over the seeds to cover them.
Some seeds have a very hard outer shell (testa) and are difficult to germinate. Such testy cases can be softened or scarified to allow water to penetrate. To scarify, line a matchbox with a piece of fine-grain sandpaper or emery board. Put the seeds in the matchbox and shake for 10 to 15 seconds. Remove the seeds and make sure they have been scuffed a bit. Just a little scuffing will allow water to enter and set germination in motion.
4) Place the seeds in a warm location (70°F–80°F; 21°C–27°C), making sure they are in darkness. Some gardeners go so far as to set the plate in a vertical position (so taproot grows downward). The seeds can also be set on a grate for drainage and air circulation.
Cannabis is grown from one of two sources: a seed or a clone. Seeds carry genetic information from two parent plants and can express many different combinations of traits: some from the mother, some from the father, and some traits from both.
Marijuana seeds can be acquired from an array of sources and can vary in quality. For more info on how to buy marijuana seeds, check out our Guide to buying cannabis seeds.
Cannabis seeds vs. clones
To create a dark, protected space, take another plate and flip it over to cover the seeds, like a dome.
Cannabis plant sex organs appear on nodes, the points where branches grow off from the main stalk.
Autoflowering strains require some preparation, as they will grow quickly and start to flower whether or not you’re ready for them.